Recent reports on the state of equity in the social sector's workforce and leadership show that diversity initiatives over the last 20+ years are not going far enough to create meaningful diversity and inclusion. Practitioners and thought leaders across the country have called for a renewed commitment and new strategies that address structural and systemic barriers that have persisted for generations.
This event will bring together national partners and local leaders to share knowledge, discuss common challenges, and consider opportunities for accelerating our collective efforts over the next three to five years. Participants may register for the first day only or both days.
About the Alliance’s Commitment to Equity
The Alliance for Strong Families and Communities has worked to strengthen the social sector’s leadership and capacity since its founding more than 100 years ago. Our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the nonprofit workforce has become a cornerstone of our efforts to create equitable systems by leveraging the influence and expertise of our network of thousands of social sector leaders across the country.
- Learn about new national efforts to advance systems change in nonprofit sector diversity and leadership
- Share knowledge with fellow practitioners on current trends, effective practices, and challenges
- Consider opportunities for meaningful partnerships to advance shared goals in equity in the social sector workforce
Who Should Attend
- Staff responsible for diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Staff interested in advancing equitable hiring
- Human resources professionals
- Board members
- Executive search firms
- Community members and leaders interested in advancing equitable hiring practices
Day 1: Thursday, June 6 from 1-6 p.m.
Participants will convene with fellow practitioners and advocates for shared learning, discussion, and action planning. The half-day convening will include:
- 12:30-1 p.m. Registration and Networking
- 1-3 p.m. General Session: Featuring national thought leaders sharing the latest trends, opportunities, and challenges in advancing equity in nonprofit leadership
- Sean Thomas-Breitfeld, Building Movement Project
- Monisha Kapila, ProInspire, Equity in the Center
- Marcus Littles, FrontLine Solutions
Read their bios
- 3-4:30 p.m. Workshops: Led by local and national practitioners that dive deeper into common challenges and opportunities for action
Read the workshop descriptions
- 4:30-6 p.m. Closing Session: A strategy discussion on how to advance equity efforts in Milwaukee
Day 2: Friday, June 7 from 8:30 a.m.-Noon
Space is limited, so register early. This hands-on session will put learning and theory into action. Through a combination of small group discussions and facilitated activities, attendees will create action plans for advancing their goals in equity, diversity, and inclusion. The working session is open to all interested individuals, and participants should commit to attending the entire session. Working groups are encouraged to participate together including teams from the same organization, cross-organization collaborations, and community member teams.