The Alliance for Strong Families and Communities seeks a Senior Director Government Affairs to join our dynamic team. The Alliance for Strong Families and Communities’ (the Alliance) Senior Director of Government Affairs should possess significant political acumen and be perceived as an influential consensus-maker. The ideal candidate should have or be able to establish personal relationships with bipartisan, bicameral Members of Congress and their staffs. S/he should also have or be able to develop strong contacts with relevant committees (e.g. Judiciary, Commerce, Ways & Means, Finance, etc.), Congressional Caucuses, and federal agencies (e.g. HHS). S/He will use these contacts to help implement the Alliance’s Public Policy agenda for successfully achieving specific legislative results in Washington.
Join the Alliance and our network of thousands of committed social sector professionals working to positively impact local communities across the country. Through our collective work, Alliance staff and our network of members help all children, adults, and families achieve their full potential.
The purpose of this role is to represent the Alliance, its leadership and its Strategic Action Network to the US Congress, the federal regulatory agencies, and applicable state governments. This individual represents the particular interests and concerns of the human services social sector before legislators, policy makers, standards bodies, and the sector.
The Senior Director of Government Affairs will be based in Washington and will work with the Chief Operating Officer to drive the Alliance’s Public Policy agenda and strategy. S/He will work with leadership across the Alliance to provide public policy counsel on a variety of issues and will be the day-to-day liaison between Congress and the Alliance offices. The individual will drive communications with the Alliance and its members regarding the status of legislation and regulatory actions vital to their interests.
S/He will coordinate activities and partnerships with those who are advocating for the Alliance Strategic Action Network and will work with other Human Service Sector organizations in Washington which have aligned goals and businesses.
- Co-create, influence and implement the Alliance legislative policy agenda. The policy agenda is aligned to the results-based plans for impact aligned to the Alliance theory of change.
- Quickly grasp, assess, prioritize, and address the policy-related issues facing the Alliance and its members.
- Understand the Congressional legislative process including the roles and decision points in the Senate, House, Federal agencies, White House and national political party committees, in order to advance the Alliance public policy agenda.
- Assess the impact or value of pending regulatory or legislative measures.
- Work directly with Members and staff on key Congressional legislation.
- Gather, analyze, and interpret environmental, market, and membership data to accelerate the Alliance public policy agenda.
- Lead or co-lead development of, and contribute content to policy positions, issue briefs, letters to Congress, calls to action, etc.
See the job description for a full list of responsibilities.
Desired Education and Experience
Bachelor or master’s degree in social sciences, public health, public policy, public administration, business administration; 5-10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to the Alliance and note the title of the position in the email subject line. Applicants not providing salary
requirements will not be considered. No phone calls please.
The Alliance is fully committed to equal employment opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees. The Alliance does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.
Download Full Job Description