DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
Auberle is seeking a passionate, mission driven, servant-leader to be part of the agency Executive Team.
Organization: Auberle is a dynamic, award winning, human service agency operating 25 program services from multiple sites with 240 staff serving about 4,000 at risk people annually throughout Southwestern PA. The agency launched 5 new programs since July 1, 2017. Auberle is a collaborative force in the region with 80+ partners in our 412 Youth Zone and 60+ businesses and 40 agencies in our Employment Institute. The success of those we serve has been recognized with many awards including the national Aramark Organizational Leadership Award this February for both excellence and how we operate: with Equity, listening to those we serve and collaboration; national Agency of the Year by the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities; Wishart Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management; Smart 50 Agency by Smart Business magazine, and this December we received the Innovation Award from the Pittsburgh Business Times, the only human service agency recognized. Five years in a row now the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has named Auberle a Best Place to Work by.
Position Overview: The focus of the Director of Development is on achieving results which are aligned with the larger picture of the organization and its strategic goals. Initiative, coupled with a sense of competitive drive, and the ability to stay focused on results despite changing conditions, is the key to achieving the performance objectives of this job. Because environmental and organizational conditions change rapidly, the work involves innovation and creativity in generating ideas for quick response. Decision-making is focused on implementing practical, timely solutions. The Director will be expected to participate on a national level in our networks.
This position is very important to Auberle. With the growth of Auberle services noted above, fund raising is used to create sustainable programs to solve seemingly intractable problems and drives innovation and upgrades to programs, facilities, and staff development. The job requires getting things done quickly and handling a variety of activities. Self-assurance, and the confidence to purposely drive toward results while problem-solving and engaging the commitment of others is essential. A leadership style that is firm and goal oriented, and yet motivates, trains, and engages others in an enthusiastic way is important. The emphasis on building rapport and relationships with individuals and groups requires an outgoing, poised and persuasive communication style.
The Director of Development will lead the efforts of fundraising, marketing communications, and volunteer management. The Director also provides agency wide leadership on the Executive Team. The Director of Development reports to the Chief Executive Officer and supervises 3.5 other professionals. The position supports the development efforts of two dedicated Boards of Directors and a large base of
6/5/18 Page 2 of 2
volunteers. The position benefits from being in an agency that documents successful outcome data in every program. Each year the department raises in excess of $1.4 million.
Key Performance Objectives:
1. Create and execute a comprehensive development plan that utilizes performance metrics in conjunction with the agency Strategic Plan.
2. Lead and inspire the development team with positive reinforcement and help them develop their skills and abilities.
3. Market the agency using outcome data regularly to all constituencies, including donors, referral agencies, key decision makers and clients.
4. Expand our network to increase the number of individual and corporate donors and our level of unrestricted donations to support innovation.
5. Establish and sustain internal and external relationships: Use strong communication skills and marketing abilities to establish and manage relationships professionally, both within and outside the organization.
6. Administer the department: Manage the budget. Review and create departmental policies and procedures as needed.
7. Participate in agency planning: Offer insight and guidance to the short and long term planning of the agency and participate as an active member of the agency executive team regarding key agency strategies. Be a servant leader competent in the Sanctuary Model and committed to following the precepts of our mission.
8. Lead and follow as needed.
Principal Qualifications and Skills
1. Five or more years of experience in the following: Fundraising, Marketing or Sales; Managing staff and budgets; Performance-based organizations; and Mission-based environments
2. Holistic approach to development to raise friends, funds, and awareness
3. Proven track record of creating and executing a development plan with history of securing unrestricted funding and direct solicitation of gifts. Comparable sales experience also considered
4. Outstanding relationship building skills with internal and external constituents
5. Excellent verbal and electronic communication skills
6. Ability to communicate a passion for Auberle's mission of working with children and families
7. Proven ability to research and benchmark practices and employ data to guide decisions
8. Knowledge of database management and understanding of systems to support the position
9. Experience with managing budgets
10. Act 33/34 clearances required
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume with salary history to Suzanne Taleff, email@example.com. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified. Auberle is an equal opportunity employer.