Washington Insider: March 2010
The U.S. Senate passed a $17.6 billion jobs bill (H.R. 2847) March 17 that includes a tax credit that would benefit nonprofit employers that could create 8,000 to 18,000 new nonprofit jobs.
The bill passed by a vote of 68-29 and now goes to President Barack Obama for his signature.
Interested in how we do things in Washington? Check out my column, and the sidebar, in the latest edition of the Alliance magazine:
- Connections, Knowledge, and Implementation: Alliance and UNCA policy office impacts change by utilizing ‘connected expertise’ within Washington’s power structure
- Sidebar: Connected Expertise: The Real Currency of Power in Washington
About the Author
Katherine Astrich is senior vice president of public policy and mobilization for the Alliance and UNCA.
She previously worked as a consultant for The Lewin Group, a national health and human services consulting firm. She has advocated for Medicaid, early education, and workforce assistance programs that benefit vulnerable children and families.
Her expertise includes regulatory and information collection policy. She also has eight years of experience working for the Office of Management and Budget. ... more
About the Author
Cecilia Fiermonte is director of child welfare policy at the Alliance. An attorney, she previously was assistant director at the American Bar Association Center on Children and the Law, advocating for policy change and providing training and technical assistance.
She also previously:
- Supervised the child welfare program of the County Attorney's Office in Wyoming County, N.Y.
- Worked in research and evaluation at the Quality Improvement Center on the Representation of Children
- Represented children in family court matters ... more